Every other day, some new diet seems to come out. Readers might have heard lately about the keto diet, keto powders, keto shake and so on and so forth. Is the ketogenic diet(“keto” for short) just another fad that will be forgotten or debunked after a couple of years or months?
The short answer to that question is no. Here is a longer answer: For people who approach it carefully and responsibly, the ketogenic diet really can do wonderful things for their well-being.
What is the Ketogenic Diet?
Another name for the ketogenic diet is the Very Low Carbohydrate High Fat (VLCHF) diet. Basically, it involves minimizing the carbs that you eat so your body focuses on burning fat for fuel instead.
When someone eats food that is high in starch or sugar (i.e. carbs) like bread or rice, their body quickly turn it into glucose. This glucose is then released into the bloodstream, which causes the body to produce insulin for processing it.
High blood sugar is not good for us, so our bodies concentrate on burning that fuel first. Meanwhile, other sources of energy like fat are stored away. The more carbs we eat, the more our bodies focus on burning sugar (glucose) and the harder it becomes to burn fat for fuel.
The ketogenic diet is designed to make the body burn more fat. It involves a process called ketosis, which occurs when the liver starts breaking down fats. This process creates ketones, which the body will use as its primary energy source in the absence of glycogen (stored glucose that comes from the breakdown of carbs). Consuming products like keto powder and keto protein shakes can help with this.
What to Eat on the Keto Diet?
Again, as long as people take care to get enough nutrients in their diet, the keto diet can have some fantastic effects on their physical and mental health. Here are some of the things that people can still eat while on this diet:
• Meats (chicken, beef, eggs, canned fish)
• Leafy Greens (kale, collard greens, romaine lettuce)
• Dairy Products (whole milk, yogurt, full-fat cheese)
• Nuts & Seeds
• Coconut Oil & Coconut Cream
Again, the big focus is on minimizing the amount of carbs that a person eats. This means no sugar in any form—no honey, no maple syrup, no agave. However, this does not mean that a person needs to cut sweetness completely out of their diet: Plant-based sweeteners like erythritol and stevia are fine in moderation. People can also eat fruits like blueberries blackberries as a treat.
Other things to avoid on the keto diet include:
• Starch (potatoes, potato chips, tortilla chips, beans, legumes)
• Processed Oils (canola, margarine)
Benefits of the Ketogenic Diet
As mentioned above, switching to the keto diet and consuming products like a keto protein shake can have some great benefits:
• It helps people lose more weight. Because the whole point of the keto diet is to make the body use fat as a source of energy, it can be great for people who want to lose some weight.
• It can improve concentration and focus. Ketones are great for firing up the brain. Research has shown that consuming more fatty acids like Omega-3 and Omega-6 can help improve brain function.
• It helps keep the body’s blood sugar level stable. Since the keto diet involves reducing the amount of glucose and insulin produced in a person’s body, it is great for stabilizing someone’s blood sugar level.
• It can boost someone’s energy over the course of a day. By eating and burning more fat, a person on the keto diet will not be as hungry. At the same time, they will have more than enough energy to get through their day.
Ketologie makes products like keto powder to make it easier for people to switch to the ketogenic diet. The company takes pride in helping health-conscious individuals realize the benefits of VLCHF living.
Originally Published by: healthbuzzline.com